In Bob Marley Later Career Rastaman Vibration made big waves in the US charts on its release

Bob Marley Later career

After the attack on his life at his Hope Road residence Bob Marley left Jamaica at the end of 1976, and went to England, where he recorded both Exodus and Kaya.

He released "Africa Unite" on the Survival album in 1979, and was then invited to perform at the Zimbabwe Independence Day celebrations on April 17th 1980.

He also performed at many other concerts spanning the length and breadth of the globe.

Rastaman Vibration made big waves in the US charts on its release. The success got reggae and other reggae artists more exposure. Marley got more mileage a recognition for his peace efforts.

“War” brought the message of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie loud and clear to the young generation.

Bob Marley Later Career:Bob Marley's Cancer/Bob Marley Dies

There are many rumors surrounding Bob Marley’s death. It is rumored that Marley was a prime target of American intelligence agency the CIA for his anti-authority lyrics which were deemed a threat to social order because of the mostly revolutionary messages in them.

However the medical reason surrounds a wound to Marley’s right big toe that would prove fatal in the end. The toe in question was injured during the very physically active Marley’s football matches. Marley initially did not take the injury seriously until he began to feel constant discomfort in the area of the same toe.

After checks with physicians in July of 1977, Marley was diagnosed as having a form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma which had been present under his toenail.

Doctors then suggested that the star amputate the toe in order to prevent the spread of the cancer.

It is said that due to his Rastafarian belief Marley refused to undergo the amputation even in such a life threatening instance. A little known fact is that he did eventually undergo surgery in an attempt to expunge some of the cancer cells.

The cancer spread to his brain, lungs and stomach.

While on tour in the summer of 1980 trying to break into the United States market, he collapsed jogging in New York's Central Park. This was after a series of shows in England and at Madison Square Garden. The illness made him unable to continue with the large tour planned.

Marley sought help, and decided to go to Munich,Germany in order to receive treatment from controversial cancer specialist Josef Issels for several months, but it was to no avail.

He wanted to spend his final days in Jamaica after “Coming in From the Cold” but he became too ill on the flight home from Germany and had to land in Miami.

He passed away at Cedars of Lebanon Hospital Miami, Florida on May 11, 1981.

His state funeral in Jamaica was a dignified affair with combined elements of Ethiopian Orthodoxy and Rastafarianism.

The Honourable Edward Seaga eulogized Marley after which his body was transported to his final resting place a crypt in Nine Miles, near his birthplace in the parish of St.Ann in Jamaica.

Many people in alluding to the phenomenal turn out of people at his funeral use it as a point of reference when speaking about events where there is such a large turn out, “it big like Bob Marley funeral”.

Bob Marley Biography

Bob Marley Early Musical Career

Bob Marley Almost Fatal Attaack

Bob Marley's Legacy

Return from Bob Marley Later Career to Rasta Man Vibration